STD Codes Directory
What is STD Code?
The Subscriber Trunk Dialling (STD) is a telephone numbering system that permits subscribers to dial trunk calls without operator's help. The term STD was introduced when it first became possible for making domestic long distance calls. Area codes are used to identify the location of the subscriber telephone connection.
Landline Numbering Scheme
In India, Landline telephone numbers are 6, 7, or 8 digits long. The total length of phone number and correspond area code must be 10. (i.e.,) The total value of subscriber number and STD code of area code numbers should be in 10.
|Area Code||Subscriber Number|
Area codes are preceded by a '0'. The '0' is an India's NDD (national direct dialing) code used for making statewide domestic calls. If you are dialing an inbound international call and phone number starts with '0', then you will need to remove that '0 '.
Landline Providers in India
The following telecom companies provides landline phone service in one or more telecom circles in India.
- BSNL (Numbers starts with a '2')
- MTNL (Numbers starts with a '2')
- Reliance Communications (Numbers starts with a '3')
- Bharti Airtel (Numbers starts with a '4')
- MTS India (Numbers starts with a '5')
- Datacom Solutions (Numbers starts with a '6')
- Tata Indicom (Numbers starts with a '7')